Friday, August 13, 2010

Week 33: Jeremiah 30-45; Lamentations; Ezekiel 1-11

Here's this week's reading plan as we make our way through the books of Jeremiah, Lamentations, and Ezekiel:

Weekend: Jeremiah 37-39
Monday: Jeremiah 40-45
Tuesday: Jeremiah 46-52
Wednesday: Lamentations (entire book)
Thursday: Ezekiel 1-6
Friday: Ezekiel 7-11

If you are starting to feel that you've been reading the book of Jeremiah for a long time now, it's because you have. Jeremiah is the longest book in the Bible, even though other books, like Isaiah and Psalms, have more chapter divisions.

The books of Jeremiah and Ezekiel have some interesting similarities and differences. Like Jeremiah, the prophet Ezekiel lived and prophesied during one of Jerusalem's darkest periods. The year 586 BC marks the Holy City's worst catastrophe up to that point in time...its total destruction by Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonian army. The city walls were breached and reduced to rubble. The temple was looted and burned to the ground. Homes and business were demolished. The majority of Jerusalem's population was exiled to Babylon, where the people remained for decades.

Jeremiah and Ezekiel (along with Isaiah and Zephaniah) followed the same basic sequence in writing their books. They began with a series of oracles against Israel, then moved to a set of oracles against the surrounding nations, and came full circle with oracles consoling Israel, which promised restoration and future blessing after God's judgments had run their course. While Ezekiel arranged his oracles chronologically, however, Jeremiah did not.

Ezekiel and Jeremiah ministered to many of the same people, but those people were in very different circumstances when they encountered the two prophets. Jeremiah prophesied to the inhabitants of Jerusalem before they were carried off into captivity. Ezekiel was "a missionary prophet" of sorts. He lived among the people after their exile to Babylon and instructed them on how they should conduct themselves among their captors.

The message for us is that God meets us where we're at...regardless of our circumstances in life. He instructs us on how we should live, and leaves the choice (along with the blessings and consequences of those choices) up to us. Yet, even after we've messed up in the worst possible ways, we can trust that God will never leave us or forsake us. He will deliver us and infuse us afresh with hope and joy.

A passage in Lamentations, the book that lies between Jeremiah and Ezekiel, is particularly instructive. As the early morning sun broke over Jerusalem's eastern horizon, it illuminated brown and yellowish hues of smoke, which wafted slowly heavenward from the Holy City's smoldering ashes. Jeremiah stood motionless and wept softly as he wrung these words from his lonely soul, speaking as if one with the city whose destruction he had predicted for some 40 years:

Like a bear lying in wait,
like a lion in hiding,
he dragged me from the path and mangled me
and left me without help.
He drew his bow
and made me the target for his arrows.
He pierced my heart with arrows from his quiver.
I became the laughingstock of all my people;
they mock me in song all day long.
He has filled me with bitter herbs
and sated me with gall.
He has broken my teeth with gravel;
he has trampled me in the dust.
I have been deprived of peace;
I have forgotten what prosperity is.
So I say, "My splendor is gone
and all that I had hoped from the Lord."

But then the Spirit whispered to the worn-and-weary prophet and his face brightened.

He continued...lament giving way to consolation:

I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord's great love we
are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will hope in him."
The Lord is good to those whose hope
is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
(Lamentations 3:10-26)

Jeremiah made the faithful acclamation: "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will hope in him."

Whatever circumstances we find ourselves facing in the coming week, let's make this common commitment: "Come what may, the Lord is our portion; therefore we will hope in him!"

Chuck

2 comments:

  1. Time and again the prophets were asked for a message from God, but when the message was not what the hearers wanted to hear, they were rejected.

    As I read this scenario for the unmpteenth time, I paused. Is this me? Do I reject messages from God when they are not what I want to hear?

    It is easy to look back at the Israelite behaviour and wonder at their blindness, but then I wonder at my own. I can look back at my own life and see times of blindness too that is all too clear now.

    My prayer is that I keep my heart and mind open to the messages from God, especially when they go against what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +1!

    I tend to go back to the story of the rich man who wanted to enter Heaven and Jesus gave him some simple instructions: go and sell everything you own and walk with me (truncated version).

    We are that man- whether pastor or parishioner (sp?), we struggle mightily with the simple instructions from God as they oppose the complex operations of the worldly culture that we subscribe to.

    I don't necessarily view us as "rejecting" God as much as I see the constant need for a Savior... To put it as simply as I can, I stress about money and the bills and my job and such, but when I do that I am not choosing to do so as an active rejection of God. What I am doing is passively lacking in faith in times of severe stress and at those times I need a Savior to lift that stress burden off my back so I can see better what God has in store for me during those hard times.

    The King and the Israelites outright asked for the Word of the Lord and promised to listen and obey- their active rejection of the Word of the Lord when it was delivered and their broken promise to abide by the Word was the "last straw" as they proceded to be wiped out by the Babylonians. Knowing you, Steve, I just don't see you as that kind of a man- I see you as way better than that for what that is worth...

    Your prayer is my prayer as well- thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete