Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Week 32: Jeremiah 11-36

Here is this week's reading plan- all from the Book of Jeremiah:

Weekend: Ch. 11-15
Monday: Ch. 16-20
Tuesday: Ch. 21-25
Wednesday: Ch. 26-29
Thursday: Ch. 30-33
Friday: Ch. 34-36

Jeremiah was a prophet who began his ministry when a righteous king (Josiah) sat on the throne. The Book of the Law was re-discovered during the time of Josiah's reign and as king he made sweeping changes in Judah to rid the country of idols and other things that enabled the people to sin against God. Jeremiah pretty much was brought on board while the going was good...

But...

Josiah's death in battle ushered in the bad habits that led to the destruction of Israel...

In my line of work in sales, it is said that my job truly begins when I hear the answer "No." Well, for Jeremiah, his job really began when Judah's king decided to lead them back into sin. He is the messenger of bad news (truth, really) to folks who do not want to change bad habits...

As we read together the story of Jeremiah, please note that all along as people abandon him and increasingly mistreat him, that he still holds fast to his mission and ministry...

-Mike

1 comment:

  1. One thing that strikes me as I read Jeremiah is his faithfulness to God's message in the face of unending opposition. The message God tells him to give is a hard one to the people in power. It must have taken great fortititude and a heavy reliance on God to continuously preach that message.

    It is easy for me to dismiss the message of idolatry as not being applicable to me. After all, there is only one God in my life. Or is there? I may not pray to Baal or Asherah, but other things can still take over the place of God as the center of my life. If I substitute money, pride, job, lust or the like for Baal as I read, the meaning of the warnings from God hits much closer to home.

    Then this "Perhaps when the people of Judah hear about every disaster I plan to inflict on them, each of them will turn from his wicked way; then I will forgive their wickedness and their sin." Jer 36:3

    God longs to forgive me, but I must turn from my sin. This message has not changed for all eternity. It is the struggle we have with free will. God help me to turn from my sin to you!!

    ReplyDelete