- Sunday: 1 Samuel 24:1-25:44, John 10:22-42, Psalm 116:1-19, Proverbs 15:20-21
- Monday: 1 Samuel 26:1-28:25, John 11:1-54, Psalm 117:1-2, Proverbs 15:22-23
- Tuesday: 1 Samuel 29:1-31:13, John 11:55-12:19, Psalm 118:1-18, Proverbs 15:24-26
- Wednesday: 2 Samuel 1:1-2:11, John 12:20-50, Psalm 118:19-29, Proverbs 15:27-28
- Thursday: 2 Samuel 2:12-3:39, John 13:1-30, Psalm 119:1-16, Proverbs 15:29-30
- Friday: 2 Samuel 4:1-6:23, John 13:31-14:14, Psalm 119:17-32, Proverbs 15:31-32
- Saturday: 2 Samuel 7:1-8:18, John 14:15-31, Psalm 119:33-48, Proverbs 15:33
Scripture: 1 Samuel 25:40-41
40 When the messengers arrived at Carmel, they told Abigail, "David has sent us to ask if you will marry him." 41 She bowed low to the ground and responded, "Yes, I am even willing to become a slave to David's servants!"
John 10:26-27 "26 But you don't believe me because you are not part of my flock. 27 My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me."Observation:
Nabal was a fool with a beautiful and smart wife (I know what you're thinking here... that could be me at times ;). Even though David has protected him and his servants and flocks, he insults David and his men. David is ready to take vengeance in his own hands, if it wasn't for the sensible Abigail. Today's verse in Proverbs 15:21 says:
"Foolishness brings joy to those who have no sense; a sensible person stays on the right path."This verse very much applied to Nabal and Abigail! What struck me in this passage is the fact that Abigail is ready to leave all her wealth behind and become the wife of a chased-after ragtag band leader. How can that be? Well, Abigail recognizes that David is God's chosen shepherd. She recognizes that he will lead the LORD's people and become the chief-shepherd of His flock. As Jesus says in John 10: "My sheep recognize my voice", so Abigail recognizes God's voice through David and wants to follow him.
I want to become sensible like Abigail, to recognize the voice of the Shepherd in the midst of a dire situation. I want to be forward looking to the time when he will come back to earth a second time, to judge the Nabals of this world, and to gather his flock to take part in the wedding feast.
Dear Heavenly Father, give me 'sense' like Abigail had, and help me to avoid the foolishness and selfishness that Nabal displayed. I want to hear your voice and follow you alone. In Jesus Name, the chief Shepherd. Amen.
Today Pentecost is celebrated across the world, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. I pray that you may be filled with a holy fire that truly transforms your life. Have a great week.