Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 7: What's on Your Face?

This week's Bible reading is as follows:

*Sunday: Exodus 34:1-35:9; Matthew 27:15-31; Psalm 33:12-2; Proverbs 9:1-6
*Monday: Exodus 35:10-36:38; Matthew 27:32-66; Psalm 34:1-10; Proverbs 9:7-8
*Tuesday: Exodus 37:1-38:31; Matthew 28:1-20; Psalm 34:11-22; Proverbs 9:9-10
*Wednesday: Exodus 39:1-40:38; Mark 1:1-28; Psalm 35:1-16; Proverbs 9:11-12
*Thursday: Leviticus 1:1-3:17; Mark 1:29-2:12; Psalm 35:17-28; Proverbs 9:13-18
*Friday: Leviticus 4:1-5:19; Mark 2:13-3:6; Psalm 36:1-12; Proverbs 10:1-2
*Saturday: Leviticus 6:1-7:27; Mark 3:7-30; Psalm 37:1-11; Proverbs 10:3-4

This week's S.O.A.P. comes from Exodus 34:

Scripture: Exodus 34:29-35
"When Moses came down Mount Sinai carrying the two stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant, he wasn’t aware that his face had become radiant because he had spoken to the LORD. So when Aaron and the people of Israel saw the radiance of Moses’ face, they were afraid to come near him.
"But Moses called out to them and asked Aaron and all the leaders of the community to come over, and he talked with them. Then all the people of Israel approached him, and Moses gave them all the instructions the LORD had given him on Mount Sinai. When Moses finished speaking with them, he covered his face with a veil. But whenever he went into the Tent of Meeting to speak with the LORD, he would remove the veil until he came out again. Then he would give the people whatever instructions the LORD had given him, and the people of Israel would see the radiant glow of his face. So he would put the veil over his face until he returned to speak with the LORD."

Observation:
Moses’ face was glowing because of his close encounter with the Living God. When Moses asked to see God, God allowed Moses to see as much of him as possible. God shielded Moses with his hand as he passed by so that Moses would not see his face and die. When Moses descended from Mount Sinai, had no idea that his face was shining.

Two observations strike me as I read this passage today. The first is that the people were afraid to come close to Moses unless he covered his face with the veil. The second is that Moses did not cover his face when he first shared all the instructions God had given him on the mountain, but did so afterwards...every time he came out of the Tent of Meeting with further instruction.

Moses’ face was reflecting God’s glory, which must have been a wonderful thing to behold. Why wouldn’t the people want to see it? Moses was obviously alive and well. And the veil appears to have symbolic significance. The text is clear that the veil was off then Moses presented the first round of instruction – the instruction he received on the mountain. But after that, he wore the veil every time he spoke to the people. They were hearing the words but they weren’t seeing God’s glory.

Application:
The Apostle Paul helps. He talks about Moses’ shinning face and the veil in 2 Corinthians 3:12-18. The veil points to the peoples’ hardened minds. Old Testament Scripture speaks of Jesus. When people read it and cannot see that fact, it is because the veil stands between them and the truth. When we believe in Jesus, the veil comes off and we become the reflectors of God’s glory. Our faces shine like Moses’ face!

So I come away from today’s reading with two takeaways: (1) I want to avoid the veil! I want as much of God as I can get. I don’t want to back away from God and God’s truth. I don’t ever want to be the victim of my own prejudices and presuppositions. I want to see as much of God as is humanly possible. (2) I want people to see God shining on my face. I want to reflect God’s glorious image rather than the stresses that the day brings. It occurs to me that when I allow the cares and worries of the world to weigh me down, I’m putting on the veil, which renders me incapable of either understanding God’s truth and peace in that moment or being the witness that God wants me to be.

I want to keep the right thing on my face: the veil off...and the glory on!

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, for Jesus’ sake I pray that your glory would shine brightly on my face. I want as much of you as I can get! I want people to see by the very glow of my persona that I spend time with you. Please draw close to me...and help me draw close to you, now and always! Amen.

Have a great week!

Faithfully,
Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment