Sunday, October 23, 2011

Week 43- Satisfaction!

The reading plan for this week:

Sunday (Epistles): James 1-3
Monday (The Law): Deuteronomy 4-6
Tuesday (History): 2 Chronicles 25-28
Wednesday (Psalms): Psalms 122-124
Thursday (Poetry): Ecclesiastes 1-2
Friday (Prophecy): Habakkuk, entire book
Saturday (Gospels): Acts 9-10

Two of my favorite books are started this week- James & Ecclesiastes. James is a true treatise on faith and how to put your faith in action. Many SOAPing opportunities will be found as you read this book... The SOAP for this week, however will come from Ecclesiastes. This book, written by King Solomon, really puts into perspective how important (or not) many things in life really are...

Scripture: Ecclesiastes 2:24-25 "people can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?"

Observation: King Solomon has a better way to find satisfaction than Mick Jagger. An honest day's work with some good food and drink at the end of the day- all with a heart of thanksgiving to God for his provision- is how to get some... With God in our lives, the food tastes better, the drink goes down smoother and work becomes enjoyable. From these basics the rest of life falls into place.

Application: How many times do I become distracted in life by politics, sports, traffic, money, news and what else? Any or all of these take my eye off the ball if I allow them to. When I lose focus on God and fail to express my thanks for his provision, things have a way of unraveling in my life. To honor my wife, my family and my boss, I need to work hard on the basics that lead to satisfaction and joy.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I yield my heart to You to soften. I please need your wisdom to apply "blinders" to the things that distract me and rob me of joy. Thank You for Your Word, Your Son and all that you have given me the energy to do in Your Name. Amen.

Have a great week and God Bless!

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment