Monday, July 11, 2011

Week 28: The Spiritual Battle

The reading plan for this week:

Sunday (Epistles): Colossians 1-2
Monday (Law): Leviticus 13-15
Tuesday (History): 2 Kings 6-10
Wednesday (Psalms): Psalms 81-83
Thursday (Poetry): Proverbs 10
Friday (Prophecy): Ezekiel 25-30
Saturday (Gospels): Luke 19-20

Scripture: 2 Kings 6:8-22

Observation: The prophet Elisha is surrounded by an Aramean force set to capture him and deliver him to the king of Aram. Elisha's servant is panicked at the sight of this force and begs Elisha for his advice. Elisha calmly replies "Don't be afraid" and prays that the servant's eyes are opened to the reality that exists around them. The servant's eyes behold an army of horses and chariots of fire surrounding them. Through more prayer, the Aramean force is crippled and captured and delivered to the king of Israel.

Application: When it comes to picking and choosing the battles I fight, most of the time I tend to rely on my own abilities to wages these battles (whether I am right or wrong in these battles). I tend to go it alone many times in work and even in leading my family. This story reminds me that I am not alone in my struggles- if I wish to ask for help, an army stands ready to assist; and most likely is engaged in battle when I am least likely aware of it. The key here is to not be afraid and to lean on God for assistance and trust Him that he is in control and he stands ready for the times I am willing to ask for His help.

Prayer: Lord, I sincerely need your help- I cannot do it all on my own and only You can assist me in my fight against the Evil One. Please open my eyes to the reality of Your existence in this world and that I am not alone- and therefore do not need to go it alone. Please guide my steps as I walk with you each day so that I may not only walk the narrow path, but also lead my family and others under my influence along that same path. Thank you for always being there. In Your Name, Amen.

Have a great week!

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment