Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Week 18: The blessing of affirmation

This week, the reading plan is as follows:

* Sunday (epistles): II Corinthians 4-5
* Monday (the Law): Exodus 17-20
* Tuesday (history): II Samuel 5-9
* Wednesday (psalms): Psalms 51-53
* Thursday (poetry): Job 35-36
* Friday (prophecy): Jeremiah 27-31
* Saturday (gospels): Mark 15-16

This week's S.O.A.P. is from II Samuel:

Scripture
10. And David became more and more powerful, because the LORD God Almighty was with him. 11. Then King Hiram of Tyre sent messengers to David, along with carpenters and stone-masons to build him a palace. Hiram also sent many cedar logs for lumber. 12. And David realized that the LORD had made him king over Israel and had made his kingdom great for the sake of his people Israel. [II Samuel 5:10-12]

Observation
We can draw several observations from this passage:
a) There is a direct connection between David becoming more and more powerful, and the LORD being with him - verse 10.
b) Because David became more powerful, other powerful people -- like king Hiram of Tyre -- connect with him, and bless him with material blessings - verse 11.
c) When David sees the material blessings, he realizes that the LORD has confirmed him as king over Israel - verse 12.

Application
Oftentimes in my own life, it takes a while for me to realize that the LORD is with me in all that I do. I'm waiting for some sort of blessing to occur, kind of as an affirmation from God that He does support what I'm doing. Even though we know the LORD is always with us, and will never leave us or forsake us because of His promises, as human beings we are sometimes uncertain, and we need affirmation and confirmation from our Heavenly Father.

The good thing is: God knows our weakness, and our desire for affirmation, and He gives it to us, just like He gave it to David. I've experienced this blessing many times myself. There have been a couple life-changing events in my life, where I was uncertain whether or not I had made the right decision. Each time, I was waiting for the LORD to bless and affirm my decision, and each He did! We have an amazing God, who affirms and blesses his children beyond measure.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I thank you for your blessings, and for your affirmation in times when I am uncertain. Please help me to trust you more and more, even if the affirmation comes later or in different ways I did not anticipate. I thank you for who you are and all that you do in my life. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Have a blessed week.

Dick

No comments:

Post a Comment