Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 13: Freedom...

Here is the schedule for this week:

Sunday (Epistles): 1 Corinthians 9-10
Monday (Law): Genesis 48-50
Tuesday (History): 1 Samuel 11-15
Wednesday (Psalms): Psalms 36-38
Thursday (Poetry): Job 25-26
Friday (Prophecy): Jeremiah 1-6
Saturday (Gospels): Mark 5-6

Here is my SOAP for the week:

Scripture: I Corinthians 10:23 "Everything is permissible"- but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"- but not everything is constructive.

Observation: What a wonderful country we live in. We are pretty much free to do whatever we want. We are free to go for the American Dream, free to worship in our own manner and free to speak our minds. We are also free to make mistakes, free to make a fool out of ourselves and also free to be wasteful and sinful. What this verse is saying to me is "Just because you can do something does not mean that you should do it." What are the consequences of our actions, our words and our thoughts?

Application: I tend to sometimes get caught up in the "culture wars" in America. Issues like abortion and homosexuality tend to get caught up in this maelstrom of emotion where two opposing sides volley venom back and forth in an effort to "win" their battle. I have to remind myself in the heat of these discussions that there are real people out there who struggle with these issues in their lives. Society tells them that these issues are "permissible," and therefore good. What I cannot do is judge people based on issues like these, nor can I engage in a meaningful discussion with them by pounding them over the head with Scripture. As much as I see their need for a Savior, I must take the log out of my own eye so I can see MY OWN need for a Savior. We are all on the same team. And because of that we need to work through this thing called life together if we are all to experience indescribable freedom in Heaven.

Prayer: Heavenly Father I just want to thank you for your Word. I want to thank you for the simple verses, the ones that may take only ten seconds to hear but much longer to digest. I am in need of your grace today and will need it tomorrow. I ask in Your Name that grace is given to others who may not know you, that they will know you and be saved. I also ask in Your Name that grace is also given to those who do know you, but have a hard time focusing on You. The gift of freedom is a great gift, but I am asking for the wisdom to use this gift for how it was intended. Thank you for being a great and loving God, and I pray all of this in Your Name. Amen.

Have a great week!

In Him,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment