Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week 4: Taking the initiative...

The reading plan for week 4 is as follows:

* Sunday (epistles): Romans 7-8
* Monday (the Law): Genesis 12-15
* Tuesday (history): Joshua 16-20
* Wednesday (psalms): Psalms 9-11
* Thursday (poetry): Job 7-8
* Friday (prophecy): Isaiah 18-22
* Saturday (gospels): Matthew 8-10

Some great passages this week, including Genesis 15 where Abram unconditionally trusts God, and God therefore calls him 'righteous'. Also included are two great chapters from Romans, where Paul acknowledges his own weakness and his need for a savior.

This week's SOAP exercise, however, is taken from lesser-known book of Joshua:

Scripture: Joshua 18:1-3
Now that the land was under Israelite control, the entire Israelite assembly gathered at Shiloh and set up the Tabernacle. But there remained seven tribes who had not yet been allotted their inheritance. Then Joshua asked them, "How long are you going to wait before taking possession of the remaining land the LORD, the God of your ancestors, has given to you?"

Observation:
In this passage we see that Israel had taken control of the land of Canaan. However, 'taking control' merely meant 'occupied'. They had not yet casted out all the inhabitants of the land and possess it for themselves, to live and thrive there, the way God had commanded. Seven of the 12 tribes were still waiting on something. From this text it appears that they did not take initiative themselves. They were just waiting for Joshua to give them orders, kind of like children who don't do their chores unless they are told/forced by their parents.

We know from chapter 13:1 that Joshua was already an old man. He had seen and experienced it all... including God's miracles. You can see his irritation and sarcasm when he asks: "How long are you going to wait..."?

Application:
From time to time I find myself in a similar situation, where I'm spiritually passive, almost lethargic. I know God has commanded me to take some action (like the Israelites were commanded to take ownership of the land), but I wait for something else to happen or someone else to encourage or force me to do it. This is not good. I need to be pro-active and take ownership and control of the things God wants me to do.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I know I'm weak and oftentimes wait on others to take initiative to build your kingdom. Help me to discern your will for my life, the tasks you have laid before me, and give me the strength and will-power to execute it to your honor and glory. In Jesus name. Amen.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment